Thursday, April 21, 2011

A look at the Dolores "Abong-Abongs"



Every year during the Lenten Season, it is a Philippine tradition for  us, Catholics to have a procession around our respective towns/parishes. It is also a Lenten practice in my home province Abra that these processions pass through a series of stations we call "abong-abong's." These are like arches which are usually built with bamboos, covered with coconuts leaves and decorated in the interior with various fruits. Blah Blah Blah.

That said, let's take a look at these abong-abongs in my hometown of Dolores (exterior and interior) just before the Maundy Thursday procession:


  • Curapo. (located in the Northwestern part of Dolores)

  • Balneg I (southern part of the town)

  • Balneg II (southeastern part of Dolores)


  • Dapuan II (eastern part of Dolores; just before you reach the town plaza if you're traveling from the capital town of Abra, Bangued)


  • Last but definitely not the least: Dapuan I. (eastern part of town) This is where I grew up as a boy before I entered the minor seminary for my high school years (2004-2008). This abong-abong is located just 10 meters north of our house and 5 meters south of our family house where my father spent his whole life before we moved to Bangued.
Believe me when I tell you that everybody in this picture is a relative. I believe the dog in this picture is my aunt's (not mentioning the dog's name here).

 The boy in the striped shirt is Ezra Amor, a godson of mine (I'm 18 year old, sir, thank you for asking) and a 2nd cousin.
 The guys in the red shirt is Dan, one of my playmates when I was young and the girl in blue is Manang Aiza, a 1st cousin.


That's it. (All photos courtesy of Sir Manny Pacapac)

1 comment:

  1. Nice one bjorn! I planned to do the same but got busy last Holy Week!

    ReplyDelete