Monday, June 6, 2011

Ab-ableng/Abal-abal: A second look

Ever heard of the cliche "You are what you eat" ?
Basically, it connotes that you have to eat healthy to be healthy. Blah. Blah. Blah.

But then, if we take the saying literally (which is what I often do)........

There's a reason you never see me chew these creatures: I am what I eat, and I never dreamed of being a tiny insect easily attracted to rancid stuff (read: keddeng).

Of course, I'm kidding.


The Philippine beetle (salagubang in Filipino; ab-ableng / abal-abal in Ilocano) is actually considered a delicacy in most of Northern Luzon including my hometown of Dolores, Abra. [Here's a recipe] Although, we consider eating them conventional, it is not a surprise that people may call them exotic.They are usually abundant when the wet season starts; therefore, it is a common sight in Panar (ab-ableng country) to be filled with people waiting for them to come out when dusk settles in May.

My parents love ab-ablengs, my uncle goes to Panar almost every afternoon to bag some for dinner and my niece chomps on them like there was no tomorrow. I guess that means they taste good, don't they?

That said, I still do not see myself eating them in the near future...

Peace!

[photos from Discover Dolores and Dolores, Abra]

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's my favorite. Sad to say, I was not able to eat one last May.

    ReplyDelete